Saturday, December 26, 2009

Stop-motion international

I found some of these videos by accident when I was on youtube and it turned out to be one of the most amazing revelations that I came upon. These are stop motion animation clips from Japan by the director Kihachiro Kawamoto. I didn't know anything about him before, but after reading up on his history I find his work to be even more defining to the world of stop-motion animation.

His works are tight! Not only was a pioneer in Japan's stop-motion animation movement, but he also learned under the great Czech puppet master Jiri Trnka. Trnka convinced Kawamoto to return to Japan and incorperate influences from his traditional culture in with his work. Which is why you can see the use of Noh, Kabuki, and Bunraku puppetry in his craft. I totally dig on his work. This here is a trailer for "Book of the Dead" or "Shisha no Sho".




This one here is "The Demon"

No comments:

Post a Comment